This topping might be a leap of faith for some of you who are used to flour, butter and sugar. But we eat so much of this on a day to day basis, this is my attempt at something delicious but good in terms of healthy eating! Only add the sweetener (honey or syrup) if you have a really sweet tooth as I don’t think you need it as the cashews are naturally quite sweet). I also grind the nuts and seeds. You live with picky eaters or have children that are picky eaters, grinding is a great way of getting nutrients into them without them knowing (blending is also another way). The cashews and the sesame in this recipe are the same colour as the oat flour and so they don’t notice it as much!
Use the apple types that suit cooking well. I am using sweet or everyday apples for this as people tend to add sugar to cooking apples. Everyday apples do not fluff up nicely like cooking apples so I tend to grate them to make them a bit more stewy.
- 1 lb of sweet apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cloves (if you like)
- A little water
- 4 oz rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons cashews (1oz)
- 1 tablespoon of a seed of your choice (sesame is nice)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey or maple syrup (only if you want to)
- Small pie dish
- Either grate or finely chop apples.
- Add to a saucepan with the cinnamon , cloves and nutmeg. Add a little water.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 5 mins (longer if you have chopped the apples).
- In the meantime, put 3/4 of the oats into a mixer and grind till they turn into a flour like consistency.
- Place in a mixing bowl and add the remaining 1/4 of oats. This adds a lovely bite to the topping.
- Place the cashews and the seed of your choice into the mixer and grind till flour like.
- Add to oats.
- Add in the olive oil and mix. If you want to add a sweetener at this stage do.
- Pour the cooked apple mixture into the pie dish and then pour the crumble mixture on top. Place in a medium oven (about 180 oc) for 20 mins.
- Serve with some Greek style natural yogurt.