Healthy Eating recipes: Asian steamed Broccoli
I’m introducing another taste here which is good for healthy eating vegetables. Firstly, Thai fish sauce is a great flavour to add to any stir fries, curries or Asian dishes. Unusual on its own (to say the least) but its great when it works with other flavours. It keeps in your cupboard for quite a while – the brand I would recommend is ‘Squid Brand’ fish sauce.
- 12 oz purple sprouting broccoli
- For the dressing:
- 1 level teaspoon of sesame seeds
- 1 dessertspoon of Thai fish sauce
- 1 dessertspoon of sesame oil
- 1 dessert spoon of lime juice
- 1 dessert spoon of soy sauce (Tamari is best as its gluten free)
- 1 small red chilli
- First prepare the broccoli by cutting it into even sized pieces - stalks and all.
- Put the broccoli into the steamer and steam for 5 minutes. Remember that you can use anything as a steamer. You can use a traditional one that is attached to a saucepan, a Balinese bamboo one or if you don't have one, try putting a metal sieve over a saucepan of boiling water and cover with a lid!
- To make the dressing, toast the sesame seed in a pan or under the grill and leave for a few minutes (watch them!).
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix. When broccoli is cooked, place in large serving bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss and serve straight away. Easy!
- Wheat free and gluten free if Tamari is chosen, dairy free