The Perfect Pea
I was out to lunch the other day as part of the Network Cork’s Business Womens awards, where some of Cork’s top business women were awarded for all their hard work and success. It was a fabulous lunch, at Augustines restaurant at the Clarion, and one of the things on the menu was Pea soup. There followed a discussion about how ridiculously easy pea soup is to make and it reminded me that soup doesn’t have to involve much work at all.
Peas are packed full of goodness. They contain a wide range of nutrients, including several antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous compounds. In addition, they are a good source of fibre and protein and you can count them towards the protein content of a meal. This lovely blend of fibre and protein make it a great vegetable for blood sugar regulation and can be tolerated by Diabetics. In addition, they are a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils, as well as Vitamin A and E – who would have thought all this in the humble pea!
Peas generally have a fresh and sweet taste and are available over the summer. However, for those who want to enjoy them year around, frozen peas are a great option. They are one of the staples in my freezer. If I ever run out of fresh vegetables, then these are a good alternative. Of all the frozen vegetables, they maintain their nutrient value best after freezing as they are frozen so soon after being picked. This soup takes no time at all and is a perfect fresh tasting soup for the Spring/Summer.
Carla’s Pea and Mint Soup
- 450g frozen peas
- 600mls of boiling water
- 1 onions – diced
- A handful of mint leaves
- A pinch of chilli
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Sauté the onions in a little water for 5- 10 mins in a large saucepan.
- Add the water and bring to the boil.
- Add in the peas, bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins. Add the chilli, salt and pepper and mint (save a little mint to sprinkle on top at the end)
- Blitz with a hand blitzer or liquidiser.
- You can either serve like this (packed with fibre) or strain through a sieve for a lovely silky soup.
- Garnish with some leftover chopped mint.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free