Cumin and carrot is a match made in heaven and this simple salad is great for putting in a lunchbox and taking to work. This dish is perfect for healthy eating and packed full of fibre with the carrots and chickpeas, and the olive oil and cashews add some beneficial essential fatty acids. The coriander tops up the dish with extra Vitamin A, Vitamin K and carotenoids. The cumin also makes is a more warming option as we go into winter.
This recipe serves 2.
- 60 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 small carrots, washed and grated
- A handful of coriander
- 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
- 60 g of cashews (i.e. a handful)
- 400g of tinned chickpeas, well washed and drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the grated carrots in a bowl.
- Wash coriander, and roughly chop and add to the bowl.
- Dry roast cumin seeds in a fry pan for a few minutes on a low heat, until the begin to smell. Remove from heat, and add to the bowl or grind in a grinder or pestle and mortar and then add to bowl.
- With the same frying pan, dry roast cashews for a few minutes to just heat them slightly.
- Roughly chop and add to the bowl.
- Make dressing with Olive oil and the juice of the lemon, and stir through salad.
- Season with salt and pepper. Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free