Chinese Green Salad
The vegetables are lightly cooked (the best method for healthy eating) and then covered in the dressing straight away to ensure that the flavours are absorbed. Mikawa Mirin is available from all good food stores and some supermarkets and is great for stir fries – its a match made in heaven with soy sauce. A good brand of soy sauce is Tamari soy sauce which is suitable for coeliacs and Clearspring have a lovely Mirin.
- 8 oz broccoli heads
- 8 oz mange tout
- 6 spring onions
- 2 oz almonds
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (Tamari is gluten free)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons cider or Mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
- Cut the florets from the stalks. Remember that you can use the stalk as well. Top and tail the mange tout and cut them into slices. Do the same with the spring onions.
- Toast the almonds by putting them in a pan or grill and leave for around 5 mins (I burnt countless nuts so watch them!!)
- To make dressing, put all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork.
- Fill a large saucepan with about 3 pints of water.
- Bring to boil and put the broccoli in for only 1-2 mins, take out, drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Next add the mange tout to boiling water and leave in for only 1 minute. Take out, drain well and place in large bowl with broccoli.
- Add the spring onions with the broccoli and mangetout and mix the dressing in straight away. Allow to cool and serve at room temperature. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on before serving.
- Wheat free and gluten free if Tamari is used, dairy free