Remember how I talked about the importance of whole grains the other day. Well this salad below contains one of the nicest whole grains around… quinoa. For some reason people freak out when I mention this grain, like its a deep mystery and can only be cooked by masters!! However, its so easy and quick to cook that I use it a lot if I want a meal in a hurry. Quinoa contains a relatively high amount of protein for a grain, and so can contribute towards the protein content of a meal; one cup contains just over 20 grams of protein.
Try this out as part of your healthy eating plan and let me know how you go…
- 200 g quinoa
- 1 tin of puy, green or brown lentils - drained and rinsed well
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons mint or basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 fat scallions. spring onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks - diced
- 1 red pepper - diced
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 garlic, minced
- Sea salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Wash the quinoa well under running water - this is a really important step and stops of the quinoa tasting bitter. Place in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and the bay leaf, bring to boil and then simmer until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing, mixing all ingredients.
- Once cooked, remove the bayleaf and pour the dressing over the quinoa while they are hot and set aside to cool.
- When ready to eat, fluff up the quinoa with a fork and add the lentils, diced celery and pepper and the onions and mixed herbs.
- Serve with a little sunshine..
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free and dairy free