There is a new deli in Kinsale called Bia – its a gourmet food store and is selling all sorts of yummy ingredients – from oils to spices and gluten free and wheat free foods. One thing it does stock is the Ummera range – I bought their smoked chicken and had it for lunch.
I also bought a butternut squash so decided to make a quick salad in 15 mins – perfect for a healthy meal. Remember it doesn’t have to take loads of time to prepare a fresh meal. I did have these lentils left over from last night’s dinner – do try to always make extra when making a meal and storing it away in the fridge for the next meal.
Butternut squash is perfect for healthy living and is packed with Vitamin A (protecting you against viral infections and eye health) and a good source of manganese and Vitamin C
Serves 4 for a light lunch or 2 for a main dinner
- 1 Butternut squash
- 1/2 Ummera Smoked chicken
- 2 cup of lentils
- 3 good sprigs of mint- de stalked and chopped
- 1 inch of root ginger - grated
- 50 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- You can use tinned lentils or dried lentils (or left overs). If you are using tinned, drain 2 cups and wash well. If you are using dried, wash 1 cup of lentils well and place in double the amount of water (in the water, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander). Bring to boil and simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler and chop into small 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a steamer and steam for 10-15 mins.
- Slice the smoked chicken thinly.
- Make the dressing by mixing the mint, ginger and salt and pepper with the olive oil.
- Mix the butternut squash, lentils (they are still a little warm) and dressing and place chicken on top.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free