A range of Green Smoothie Recipes to get you started:
Smoothies can be a great way of boosting your daily diet with extra nutrients. In order to get the most of your smoothies, I’ve put together a few basic tips:
- Smoothies are a great booster, but they are not a meal. Use them as a snack, add them to a meal or use them a post exercise filler, but thats it. Others may disagree but thats just my stance on things.
- Create a balanced smoothie. A smoothie made from a range of fruits may be full of a great variety of nutrients, but its also a heap of sugar on your system at any one time. Create smoothies that blend fruits, vegetables and protein sources such as protein powder, nuts/seeeds. milks and yogurts.
- These are tiny selection. Remember that berries, cucumber, herbs, rocket, citrus juices, pears and plums, exotic fruits, stone fruits are all great. The list is actually endless.
- All the smoothies listed below are made with some form of greens. Green vegetables, kale, spinach, chard, broccoli leaves, collard greens etc, are great source of nutrients and are generally under consumed with diets. Note: they may look green, but they taste sweet and juicy!
Most of these recipe are for 1-2 servings. Use them as a guide. Take out one of the fruits and add one of your favourites. Experiment and play 🙂
Collard Green Smoothie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens or spinach
- 1 mango – diced
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes
- 1 tablespoon of ground linseeds
Combine the lime juice, linseeds, ½ cup water, the collard greens, mango, and grapes in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.
Avocado and Apple Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped spinach or kale
- 1 apple—unpeeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
Combine the yogurt, spinach, apple, and avocado in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding ½ cup water (or more)to reach the desired consistency.
Pineapple and Banana Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cupcoconut milk
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple (about 1/4 medium pineapple)
- 1 ripe banana, chopped
- ½ cup of cashews
- Soak the cashews for a couple of hours in some water. Drain off water and rinse well. Place in blender with a dash of coconut milk and blend well.
- Combine coconut milk, ½ cup water, the kale, pineapple, and banana in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.
Spinach and Grape Green Smoothie Recipe
1 cup seedless green grapes
1 cup washed and dried baby spinach
1/2 cup ice
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon of 100% peanut butter
- Place the grapes, spinach, ice, peanut butter and coconut milk in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.
Kale and Apple Green Smoothie Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 banana
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Place the celery in the blender with a little yogurt and blend well. Then add rest of yogurt, kale, banana, ice, and lemon juice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.