Coming into summer I start making smoothies a lot more. I don’t fancy huge amounts of cold liquid in the winter but when the sun starts shining, the blender comes out!!
Most people make fruit smoothies but I think its better to include more vegetables in your smoothies – everyone thinks I’m mad when I produce this green smoothie below but when they taste it, they are surprised how nice it is.
I’m giving you the basics here but play around with it as much as you want. You can juice most vegetables – carrots, celery, cucumber, all the greens leafies, tomatoes….
Remember that smoothies do not count towards your 5 fruit and vegetables a day but they are a great way of getting extra nutrients into your day.
- 1 apple or banana
- A handful of blueberries (or any berries)
- 2 handfuls of kale or spinach - washed
- 300 ml of milk (any type you want) I usually use soy or oat milk for this but almond milk would be yum
- 2 tablespoons of ground linseed
- 1 tbsp of yogurt
- Place the chopped apple or banana in the blender and add a little water.
- Blend till smooth.
- Then add the blueberries,spinach, milk, linseed and yogurt.
- Blend till smooth. If you feel it needs more fluid and is too thick add more water and blend. Yum.....
- Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free (simply remove yogurt) and sugar free