Broad beans are a great summer treat.
Yes, they take a bit of effort in podding them and removing the fibre layer, but I think they are worth the effort. Of course, most supermarkets have done this for you – you can buy little packets of shelled beans ready to cook.
I eat these in the bucket load – I cant help it. They are also packed with protein, fibre and B vitamins!
- 300g Broad Beans
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic - crushed
- Half a medium red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
- 10 mint leaves – finely chopped
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Pod beans and remove outer skin if you have bought them whole or you can buy broad beans already podded.
- Boil a little water, add broad beans and cook for 2 mins. Drain and wash under cold straight away.
- Place the lemon, garlic, chilli, cooled broad beans and mint leaves into a food processor (or use a hand blender) and blitz. Slowly add the olive oil until is smooth. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve on salad of fresh rocket leaves with some wholemeal toast.