My tasty homemade brownies are given a healthy boost with antioxidant rich beetroot!
Chocolate and Beetroot Brownies
- 300g beetroot
- 50g cashews
- 2 small eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 80g dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 tbsp rice flour (or any flour)
- 35g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (I used a 8” by 4” tray).
- Pre heat the oven to 160 oc.
- Wash the beetroot well but don’t worry about cutting any of the bits off.
- Quarter and place in a steamer and steam for about 20 mins. Allow to cool before peeling. Simply run a kitchen towel over them.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl above some simmering water and melt.
- Grind the cashews into a fine powder in a food processor, they turn into flour.
- Beat the eggs with an electric beater for 5 mins, adding the pinch of salt.
- Add the melted chocolate, followed by the maple syrup, followed by the vanilla extract, beating all the time.
- Grate the beetroot or mash with a fork and beat into mixture.
- Mix together the rice flour, cashew nuts and cocoa powder and fold into the egg mixture.
- Place in the tin and cook for about 25 mins. Delicious!
- Wheat free, gluten free