I don’t like to see foods placed in categories of healthy or not. Its about what is in a dish and how it is cooked that helps determine how often we eat them. Here, a classic chicken nugget can be a great and tasty dinner when made at home.
- 400g of chicken breasts or thighs that have been deboned
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup wholemeal flour (or buckwheat flour if you want them gluten free) or a cup of wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped herbs (I used parsley, thyme and chives)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 oC
- Slice the chicken into 6 nugget sized pieces and sprinkle on the lemon juice.
- While that is sitting, get two wide bowls out.
- In the first place the egg and whisk well with a fork, adding the vinegar.
- In the other place the flour, baking soda, paprika, herbs and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Dip the chicken into the eggs, making sure it’s well covered.
- Next, dip the chicken in the flour, covering well.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 mins or until chicken is cooked.
- Serve with a green salad for a lovely lunch.