Butternut Squash Soup
Its freezing! So rather than just sit here and shiver I decided to create a soup to warm the soul. I didn’t just use the warming effects of having a bowl of butternut squash soup for lunch (sorry salads, I’m giving you a miss for a while) but I also added herbs and spices that have ‘warming’ effects within the body. Its a double-warmer….
Garlic, cinnamon, ginger and paprika are all warming spices and are great for use during the winter months. Add cinnamon to porridge, have a ginger tea in the morning, add garlic and paprika to stir fries.. The list is endless…
- 1/2 packet of halloumi (about 120g) - cubed
- 2 medium courgettes - sliced
- 1 sweet potato - diced into small squares
- 2 red onions - cut into 8 pieces
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp of parsley
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of a lime
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 160 oc (Fan) or 180 oc
- Place all of the vegetables in a large mixing bowl (courgettes, sweet potatoes and onions) and mix well with 1 dessert spoon of olive oil, garlic and pepper.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 20 mins - until sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by mixing the olive, lime juice and pepper together.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and sprinkle on the halloumi. Place under the grill for 10 minutes until they start to brown (remove vegetables is you have a grill and oven in one).
- Serve on a bed of mixed leaves if you wish.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free