This may have a funny name but it is the most simple yogurt dip recipe and perfect for a lunch time or afternoon snack. I have half a cucumber left in my fridge after a cooking class last week and wondered what to do with it.
Cucumbers are great for healthy eating coming into the summer. They are a mostly made up of water and are good to cool you down during the hot weather. However, they contain a good amount of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and caffeic acid, which have been shown to prevent water retention, which may explain why cucumbers applied topically are often helpful for swollen eyes, burns and dermatitis.
- ½ cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 150g/5oz thick Greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place ingredients (except cucumbers) in a bowl and mix well. Stir through the cucumbers gently and serve on some toasted pitta and a fresh salad.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free
Other suggestions for healthy snacks include:
As a afternoon snack with chopped vegetables
As a morning snack on oatcakes or crackers
As a spread in your favourite sandwich – as a filler or instead of butter and mayo
As a topping to a fresh salad