I’ve gone a bit mad with the dips lately. I think this is due to the fact that they are just so easy to make and can be used in a variety of ways – perfect for an easy healthy eating plan. This dip is just yummy and split peas are easier than you think to cook. I used yellow split peas but I’m sure green are just as tasty.
Remember that beans and lentils are an excellent source of fiber and vegetable protein. The major benefit of vegetable protein is that it is low in saturated fat- perfect for those interested in healthy eating due to heart disease, weight loss and any inflammatory disorder. Try this one….
- 150 grams of yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (ground sesame seed spread)
- 1 clove of garlic
- a small handful of chives
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Wash the split peas really well in water and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to boil and let simmer for 40 mins.
- Allow to cool and place them, with the rest of the ingredients (except oil, salt and pepper), into a food processor and blitz.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste (if only needs a little) and then slowly add the olive oil while its whizzing.
- I made home made tortillas the other day (will blog if anyone is interested - I find the shop made ones way too full of E numbers) and had a lunch of dip, freshly chopped veggies (tomato and pepper is perfect) wrapped in a tortilla - yum!
- Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free