I was making up a soup the other day as part of my Spring detox programme, hoping I could put the complete meal into the one pot. I have taken out wheat and dairy, typical allergic foods, so wanted a lovely creamy soup that I didn’t need to eat bread with. I ended up with possibly my most delicious soup of the winter and couldn’t believe I had to wait till March to create it! So what are the benefits of one pot meals?
I originally stated making meals in one pot due to my utter dislike for washing up. To me the idea of only using one pot means that everything is placed together with no need for extra pots. As each meal should contain some form of protein, some form of carbohydrate and some form of fibre, you can throw everything in the pot. All your extras, your protein needed for the meal, generally meat or beans, and your carbohydrates in the form of potatoes, pasta or rice can be added in with the cooking vegetables.
Stews, casseroles and soups are the idea one potters for the stove, although do remember that baking pans and dishes can be perfect for the oven. I will always cover my dishes as they cook, ensuring all of the nutrients for the dish are sealed within the container.
- 4 leeks – cleaned and sliced
- 1 butternut squash – peeled and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 heaped teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 heaped teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 litre of vegetable stock or boiling water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 1 inch of root ginger – grated
- 2 tins of butterbeans – washed and drained
- 1 cup of brown rice – washed well
- Salt and pepper
- Firstly, peel the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler.
- Sauté the leeks in a little water over a medium heat for around 5-10 minutes.
- Next add the spices and stir well.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredient except the coconut milk and the beans.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Check if rice is cooked. Next add beans and coconut milk and stir well for a few minutes.
- Serve as a meal in a bowl! Perfect for lunch.
- Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free