Fibre rich and low sugar Pear and Chocolate Muffins
Pear and Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- ¼ heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground linseed and/or wheat germ (optional)
- 3 ripe pears
- ½ inch root ginger (optional)
- 2 large squares 70% dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 oc or 160 oc fan
- Chop the pear finely and place in a saucepan with the ginger.
- Cook on a medium heat till soft (about 10 mins). Allow to cool.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and add the seeds and linseed and wheat germ.
- In a measuring jug or separate bowl, whisk the egg with a fork, add maple syrup and chocolate. Mix well and add cooled pear.
- Add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well – don't be too rough.
- Scoop into a lightly oiled muffin tray – I make 6 with this recipe but if you want to make 9 or 12 smaller ones feel free.
- Cook in oven for 20 mins.
- You know when they are done when you stick a skewer in and it comes out fairly dry.