A Spring in your Step
It’s just been beautiful over the last few weeks, with some saying it’s been the hottest April on record. Spring brings with it new birth and new hope and we are starting to shake off the soups and stews of winter and move towards the salads and fresh ingredients of spring and summer. One ingredient that always makes me feel like its spring time is lamb. So what are the health benefits of lamb?
Lamb is an excellent source of protein, containing an especially high amount of a protein called tryptophan. Tryptophan is best known for its conversion in the body into a neurotransmitter called serotonin, which helps us to feel good. Perhaps that is why everyone has a smile on their faces in the spring!
In addition, lamb is also a great source of selenium (a powerful anti-oxidant), B vitamins which are linked to energy production and zinc which is linked to boosting our immunes systems. Interestingly, lamb contains a certain amount of those Omega 3 oils which have been closely linked to their anti-inflammatory properties and heart health.
When buying lamb, get to know a good butcher, who knows exactly where his lamb has come from. The butcher may also cut, slice or trim meat if necessary. Always try to buy Irish, we are lucky in Ireland to make our lambs out in the open eating from green pastures, which further increases their health benefits.
- ½ fresh large red chilli – de-seeded and finely chopped
- 3 large ripe tomatoes – diced
- 1 red pepper - diced
- A few mint leaves – roughly chopped
- A dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 4 lamb chops
- A sprig of rosemary
- Preheat the grill to a high heat. It can be heating up while you make the salsa.
- Mix all of the ingredients (except the lamb chops and rosemary) in a big bowl and place on two plates.
- The grill should be nicely hot. Season the lamb chops with rosemary, salt and pepper. Place the chops on a grill pan and then place under the grill (about 2-3 inches away from the grill). Depending on the size, I’d say about 10 minutes for each side (although it may be less).
- Place on top of the prepared salsa and serve straight away.
- Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, sugar free