We are starting to come into mackerel season and this means loads of yummy mackerel for dinner. Mackerel is a great source of Omega 3 oils, which have been linked to both improved heart health and improved brain function. In it perfect for any healthy eating plan.
Mackerel is generally an easy fish to cook as its fillets are small. Try this healthy fish recipe below and let me know how you get on.
- 2 Mackerels that have been filleted
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped coriander
- Slice onion and crush garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health benefits.
- Cut squash into cubes and steam in a steamer with a tight fitting lid until cooked (they still have a bit of a bite) , about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a dash water in a frying pan. Sauté onion in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add garlic and spices and mix well. After about 1 minute, add a little more water and stir well.
- When squash is cooked, add it to the mixture in the frying pan and cook together for another 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking, place the mackerel fillets in the steamer and sprinkle with some fresh lemon juice and cracked pepper and steam for 10 mins.
- Season mixture in the frying pan with salt and pepper if needed, place on a plate, adding the mackerel on top and sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free and dairy free