I rarely make soup without some form of bean or lentil. Not only does it bulk up the soup and make it a great meal option, it increases its nutrient value as well.
I usually get about 4 meals out of one batch.
Sweet Potato and Butterbean soup
- 1 tin of butterbeans (washed)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- 1 inch fresh root ginger (grated)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 litre of boiling water
- Fresh coriander to serve (optional)
- Place the onions in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add some water and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add the boiling water and bring back to the boil.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 mins.
- Add butter beans to soup and stir.
- Take off heat and blitz with a hand blend or a liquidiser.
- Serve with toasted brown or soda bread.
- Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free