Turkey and Vegetable Chilli
This week I’ll be talking about good old turkey. So what is there to know?
Firstly, turkey is considered a ‘white meat’, along with chicken, and, in health terms, is considered differently to its ‘red meat’ friends such as beef and lamb. Where red meats have been connected to digestive problems such as a colon cancer, white meat seems to have a far less damaging effect.
Turkey is considered a high protein food and, along with tuna and egg whites, can keep post meal insulin and blood sugar levels within a desirable range. In fact, a serving of turkey contains your entire daily requirement of tryptophan, one of the amino acids (proteins) that is particularly linked to mood and sleep.
In addition, turkey is also a great source of selenium, a powerful antioxidant, and Vitamin B3 and B6, helping to keep us energised.
Turkey generally tends to last a few meals as it’s such a big bird. People often find turkey a bit dry the next day so it’s always good to add it to some stew or casserole to keeps things moist. This meal is packed with fibre from the vegetables and beans, helping the digestive tract recover after Christmas day!!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb/450g leftover turkey, cubed
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 green chillies – deseeded and diced
- 450 ml chicken broth
- 4 cups/handfuls finely chopped kale or spinach
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tin of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Life long health begins with one recipe but continues with a programme. Click HERE for more.
- Heat 2 tbsp broth in a saucepan and then add the onion, cover and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir through, coving for another 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, peppers, tomato puree, chilli and broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Add beans, turkey and kale/spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes and add herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir well and serve straight away.
- Photo courtesy of Red Gold
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free